Tuesday 27 May 2008

Give me more muscle

Muscle plays a huge role in raising metabolism. Strength training has all kinds of great effects on your body like:
  • Increasing resting metabolic rate so you burn more calories, even while at rest.
  • Making you lean and slim - muscle takes up less space than fat so, the more you have, the slimmer you are.
  • Strengthening bones and connective tissue which can protect your body from injuries in daily life
  • Enhancing balance and stability
  • Building confidence and self-esteem

For weight loss, science has found that lifting between 60-80% of your 1 rep max is the best way to stimulate muscle growth, which is what helps you lose fat.

I don't know about anyone else but I am totally hooked on weights. I would actually suffer if I was ever told I could not lift weights. The important thing to remember when it comes to strength training is that you must give you your muscles more weight that they can handle - that's how muscles grow. The challenge of lifting heavy is just as much a mental game as it is a physical one and , if you haven't pushed your bodys limits in a while, just the act of lifting weights may be all you can handle. In short, I want more muscle.

My week so far has been very good. I started with legs on Monday morning, but J made me lift heavy with weighted step ups (Olympic Bar, 15kg each side and step up on bench!!!!!!!!!!!!! total 50kg) and I have hurt my knee again. GGrrrrr! why does an injury persist not to heal!!!!! Knee actually didn't start hurting till late afternoon, but hindered me in boxing today as I could not do cardio stepups and skipping. Boxing itself was a little hard as I could not twist my knee. Spinning was okay though, I was able to put pressure on it, so all good on those hill sprints and standing hill climbs.

My eating plan is turning out to be a no brainer.........so easy, I am really enjoying it also so comfortable to eat.

Oh this is a short and sweet post, off to prepare meals and clothes for tomorrow. Cardio in the morning -no weights tomorrow. A day off. 2 on, 1 off, 2 on is the pattern at the moment.

So C u guys and Long Live Fitness!

Ciao!

X:D)

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Hiya Doris, hope that knee of yours gets better soon. Great that you have a way of eating that you enjoy. It always makes life a little easier hey!!

Have a great week.

Tara xx

28 May 2008 at 1:17 pm  
Blogger LizN said...

Hi Doris,
Finally got you linked up to my blog. Thank you for your lovely comments. I hope you're coming to the INBA shows in October so we can meet.

Hugs
Liz N

28 May 2008 at 8:25 pm  
Blogger Em said...

Sounds like your cuising now hun :)

Keep at it hun it will get easier and easier :)

Em:)

29 May 2008 at 4:58 pm  
Blogger SeLiNa said...

Hey Doris! Just read your last few posts, and all I can say is YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm interested to see how your DNA test goes... it's something I've looked at too :)
And just how fun was brisbane huh!! You're so right in surrounding yourself with like-minded people... it breeds the motivation.
And you with your esteem issues - you're an extremely smart and strong woman, trust yourself!!!!!!

31 May 2008 at 8:32 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home